World Cup Penalty Shootouts
Since 1978, any World Cup knockout game has been decided by the dreaded penalty shootout if level after 90 mins and extra time. As it worked out, no penalties were required at the 1978 World Cup in Argentina, so the first match to actually be decided by penalties at a World Cup was four years later in Spain 1982, when West Germany defeated France in the semi-finals.
There was only one shoot-out in 1982, but penalties were required a record four times in both 1990 and 2006. There were just two penalty shootouts in South Africa four years ago but as the knockout stages of this year's finals approach, we take a closer look at the penalty record of teams involved from past World Cups.
Penalty Shootout Records
- 4 - Germany have won the most penalty shootouts
- 3 - England and Italy have lost the most penalty shootouts
- 3 - England have lost the most shootouts without ever winning
- 4 - Germany, France, Argentina and France have been involved in the most penalty shootouts
- 1994 - Brazil won the first World Cup final to go to penalties, beating Italy in the USA.
- 3 - Italy were knocked out in three successive finals by penalty shootout between 1990-1998 before winning their first in the 2006 final beating France.
- 1 - England have just one win from 7 penalty shootouts in major championships.
- 7 - Spain have been involved in a record seven penalty shootouts in major championships, winning four.
- 1 - Germany have only lost only one of six penalty shootouts in major competitions and not since 1976, when they lost in the European Championship final to Czechoslovakia.
2018 World Cup Team Penalty Record
|Germany*||4||4||0||100%||1982||beat France (SF)|
|1986||beat Mexico (QF)|
|1990||beat England (SF)|
|2006||beat Argentina (QF)|
|Argentina||4||3||1||75%||1990||beat Yugoslavia (QF)|
|1990||beat Italy (SF)|
|1998||beat England (Rd 2)|
|2006||lost to Germany (QF)|
|Brazil||4||3||1||67%||1986||lost to France (QF)|
|1990||beat Italy (F)|
|1998||beat Netherlands (SF)|
|2014||beat Chile (Rd 2)|
|France||4||2||2||50%||1982||Lost to Germany (SF)|
|1986||beat Brazil (QF)|
|1998||beat Italy QF)|
|2006||lost to Italy (F)|
|Spain||3||1||2||33%||1986||lost to Belgium (QF)|
|2002||beat Republic of Ireland (Rd 2)|
|2002||Lost to South Korea (QF)|
|Italy||4||1||3||25%||1990||lost to Argentina (SF)|
|1994||lost to Brazil (F)|
|1998||lost to France (QF)|
|2006||beat France (F)|
|Netherlands||3||1||2||33%||1998||lost to Brazil (SF)|
|2014||beat Costa Rica (QF)|
|2014||lost to Argentina (SF)|
|Belgium||1||1||0||100%||1986||beat Spain (QF)|
|Costa Rica||1||1||100%||2014||bt Greece (Rd 2)|
|South Korea||1||1||0||100%||2002||beat Spain (QF)|
|Portugal||1||1||0||100%||2006||beat England (QF)|
|Uruguay||1||1||0||100%||2010||beat Ghana (QF)|
|Switzerland||1||0||1||0%||2006||lost to Ukraine (Rd 2)|
|Ghana||1||0||1||0%||2010||lost to Uruguay (QF)|
|Japan||1||0||1||0%||2010||lost to Paraguay (Rd2)|
|Mexico||2||0||2||0%||1986||lost to Germany (QF)|
|1994||lost to Bulgaria (Rd 2)|
|England||3||0||3||0%||1990||lost to Germany (SF)|
|1998||lost to Argentina (Rd 2)|
|2006||lost to Portugal (QF)|
European Championships Penalty Shootout Record
For the interest of researching a nations record in penalty shootouts, we've highlighted the penalty record of those nations playing in the 2018 World Cup, from past European Championships, which were first introduced in 1976.
- Sign up to bet365
- Market leading bookmaker…