The Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro is synonymous with Brazilian football and was used as one of the host venues at the 1950 World Cup. The Stadium hosted five of Brazil's six games in the finals and it's first official match was the 4-0 win for Brazil over Mexico. The official attendance for the game against Uruguay in the 1950 final was a stadium record of 199,854, although the actual attendance was estimated to be around 210,000. The stadium was rebuilt for the 2014 World Cup finals and the Maracana will host the final.
|Record Attendance:||199,854 (1950)|
|Pitch Dimensions:||105m x 68m|
* rebuilt for 2014 World Cup.
2014 World Cup Fixtures - Maracana Stadium
|15 Jun||23:00||BBC||Argentina 2 - 1 Bosnia and Herzegovina||Rio de Janeiro|
|18 Jun||19:00||BBC||Spain 0 - 2 Chile||Rio de Janeiro|
|22 Jun||17:00||BBC||Belgium 1 - 0 Russia||Rio de Janeiro|
|25 Jun||21:00||BBC||Ecuador 0 - 0 France||Rio de Janeiro|
|28 Jun||21:00||TBC||Colombia 2 - 0 Uruguay||Rio de Janeiro|
Rio de Janeiro
5 things you need to know about Rio de Janeiro!
- Rio will host the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- Rio is home to the statue Christ The Redeemer, one of the New Seven Wonders Of The World.
- Portuguese explorers first encountered Rio de Janeiro in January, hence giving it's name, meaning 'River of January.'
- Rio is four hours behind BST
- Rio's average high daily temperature for June is 25.2C
Fun Fact: Rio has the largest number of Trasvestites in Brazil!!
June and July will be Rio's coolest months but the temperature can still get up in the mid twenties. Humidity is usually high.
Find out more about the eleven other venues used in the 2014 World Cup:
- Sign up to Bet365
- Best price on every horse…